Nobody likes to move, as it is a major upheaval, and with so many things to organise, it can be a very stressful experience. The anxiety of watching your valuable items being manhandled by strangers, coupled with your concerns about the transit, and the fear that you have overlooked something, leads to a very stressful experience. If you are soon to relocate, here is a checklist to ensure that nothing is forgotten, and hopefully, you and your family will have a positive moving experience.
- Source a Reliable Removal Company – This is the most important point of all, as once you have contracted a professional team of movers, they will take most of the stress and strain. If you live in the UK, Arrowpakare one of the best in the business as they have the resources to handle any relocation, at home or abroad. Enlisting the help of professionals ensures a smooth transition, and they would supply all the packing materials, and even do the packing if you prefer.
- Confirm the Dates – Once you have made an agreement with the removal company, you would give then a provisional date for the move, and as the time approaches, you should confirm this date with the company, as very often dates must be changed, and in order to secure the vehicle and the team for that date, a confirmation is required.
- Utilities – Your old dwelling will need the utilities turned off, and you would settle up at this point, so make contact with the relevant people in advance to facilitate this. The new property needs to be connected up and all the utilities working on the day you move in, which means talking to the gas, electric and water companies, not forgetting the telephone and Internet connections. If everything is done in advance, moving in will be more convenient, as everything is on tap, so to speak.
- Essential Services – When you leave your old residence, don’t forget to cancel milk, newspapers, or any other service that normally delivers. If you’re relocating nearby, you can simply give them your new address, and the service can continue, otherwise the service must be terminated, and giving a fair amount of notice is the right thing to do.
- Cleaning – One cannot leave the old home in a dirty condition, so after the removal team have loaded everything up, you should delegate a couple of your friends or family members to clean the house from top to bottom. It is common courtesy to leave a property in a clean condition, and make sure you have left nothing behind, even things you no longer want must be removed.
- Keys – Both sets of keys need to be in your possession, and when you leave your old home, they keys will have to be handed over, and you will obviously need the keys to the new property, so make sure they are somewhere safe.
If you can comply with all of the above, the relocation project will be smooth and uneventful, and you and your family can start a new chapter in your life.